I was sitting at my desk today when it suddenly dawned on me that it has been almost 9 months since I started this Gym thing at The Western Health and Racquets Club, Hyndland Road, Glasgow. So I thought it was time to take stock, look at where I am and what the next 9 months holds.
I think the writing was on the wall the first time I went to meet GymGuyMark at The Western. When I came out I called Michelle just to prove that I had actually gone and I seem to remember saying, correct if I am wrong @tartancat ‘I wish I had brought my gym stuff’. I guess I should have realised that the writing was on the wall back then and that the Gymophobia would potentially one day be cured.
So let’s take stock
- I am no longer out of breath running for a bus .. yes I can run for a bus
- I have donated 5 black bin bags of clothes to charity shops.
- I have shape in parts of my body that I have not seen since the early 90’s
- I have made some good friends who have been a tremendous support in this sweaty trek towards so-called fitness, as well as those I have known for years and continually support me because they can see the difference.
- My family has been amazing and are well chuffed for me.
- My tales of perspiration have got at least two people to think about their fitness and take up a sport or join a Gym
- I have stuck to my guns; the only thing I have changed in my way of life is to fit in the Gym. I do watch what I eat but it is all in balance, the gin or gym philosophy stays true!
- I have lost weight but have lost it the way I wanted to, slowly but surely and it has stayed off.
- I have lost inches as well but that is between me and the tape measure.
- I have been very lucky in the support I get from The Western Health and Racquets Club, as well as Noreen and the guys at WestEndLife as well as Jill, who suggested the column in the first place.
- Last but not least GymGuyMark, 9 months ago the poor soul was Mark but the nickname I gave him has stuck! Sorry GGM and thanks for the continuing banter, jokes and confidence in my abilities when I don’t believe in myself.
The next 9 months will take me to after my 50th birthday; hopefully they hold good times with good people as well as more perspiration, banter, gin, cake and blogging.
Just one final thing to say, I feel it is time to admit something, my name is not Ginny, I used another name because I felt that I might give up … so, deep breath, my name is Geraldine and I love going to Gym, guess that means I might just be cured!
Well sort of … now where is that gin!